What is now the Tiburon peninsula was, in the beginning, home to at least fifty Indian villages. Shell mounds, petroglyphs on the rock face of Ring Mountain, and the occasional find of mortars and cooking stones are testimony to this portion of Tiburon’s history.

John Reed established his rancho on the lands where Mill Valley, Belvedere, Tiburon, San Quentin, and Corte Madera are now. In addition to his thriving cattle herds, Reed also established salt yards, a brickyard, and a stone quarry.

In the 1880s, the coming of the broad-gauge railroad transformed the peninsula. The town was created as a result of the railroad, and a long line of ferries carrying passengers and rail cars the six miles across the bay to San Francisco. The first elegant homes were built, mostly by wealthy San Franciscans, as summer retreats. Main Street Tiburon was rebuilt twice after being laid waste by fire.

Incorporated in 1964, Tiburon is now a beautiful enclave of historical landmarks, parks, world-class restaurants and shopping areas. The residential architecture is a mix of small cottages, many of them beautifully remodeled, contemporary showplaces located in the hills with spectacular views, and sensational examples of engineering that jut out over the water. The San Francisco and Corinthian Yacht Clubs provide berths for hundreds of sailboats for local yachtsmen; public and private tennis and swimming facilities are also available to residents.

Visitors from around the world come here to enjoy the natural beauty and many varied activities that this delightful harbor community provides.

Demographics

* Population 9,058 (2011)
* Average household income (2011) $106,611
* Median home price (2012) $2,495,000

Community Contacts

City Hall 435-7373
Chamber of Commerce 435-5633
Fire (Alto Richardson Bay District) 388-8182
Police Department 435-7360
Library 789-2665

Post Office 435-1041
School District 435-7844
Parks & Recreation 435-4355
Web Site www.citysearch.com/sfo/tiburon